ctakes-user mailing list archives

From "Savova, Guergana" <Guergana.Sav...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: ICD9 code resolving..
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2014 06:21:21 GMT
cTAKES uses UMLS codes that are subset to sources like SNOMED CT and RxNORM augmented with
synonyms. If you are interested in ICD-9 codes, you might be able to use the UMLS CUI to map
to the ICD-9 code.

Hope this helps.
--Guergana

From: Prasanna Bala [mailto:balkiprasanna1984@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2014 3:41 AM
To: user@ctakes.apache.org
Subject: Re: ICD9 code resolving..

Hi,
I was reading a mail from the cTakes user group the other day where it was mentioned that
cTakes uses ICD9 code internally. But then write the output for SNOMED CT code. I have certain
entities for which I need to find out ICD9/10 codes. For eg: Consider the disease "DIABETES
MELLITUS". There are so many ICD codes present for this illness. I need to narrow down to
fewer ICD codes. Is it possible to automate this type of problem using cTakes. I also found
that SNOMED CT code can be mapped to ICD codes. How reliable is this ? Also I have implemented
another version of lookup table for matching UMLS semantic types using trie structure. I found
this to be pretty fast although I implemented in python. I would like to contribute this to
cTakes because this can improve the efficiency of the lookup process too. Please let me know
your thoughts. Thanks for response.
Regards,
Prasanna

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Miller, Timothy <Timothy.Miller@childrens.harvard.edu<mailto:Timothy.Miller@childrens.harvard.edu>>