ctakes-user mailing list archives

From "Lee, Richard A. [USA]" <lee_rich...@bah.com>
Subject How to augment/modify UMLS resources?
Date Thu, 02 Jan 2014 23:00:30 GMT
Howdy, all. I’ve got a lot of experience with various commercial extraction tools, but I’m
new to cTAKES and UIMA, so please bear with me.

I am able to use my UMLS credentials to process documents, and the results are good. But there
are a few things I wish to change in the medfacts.types.Concept and AnatomicalSiteMention
areas, for starters. For example, while it annotates “orbicularis oculi” as a concept,
it does not annotate “musculus orbicularis oculi”, “septum orbital”, or “oculi medialis”.
It annotates “ulceration”, “perforation”, and “corneal perforation” but not “corneal
ulceration”. It annotates “men” (as in “Chinese men”) as a “problem”. It annotates
“ER” (ie Emergency Room) as an AnatomicalSiteReference.

So, the question becomes, how do I address these? Do I need to somehow re-generate (with changes)
the UMLS data files, probably using Luke or some such? That seems a bit crude. Is there a
clean way to supplement those data files instead to achieve the desired changes?

Thanks in advance.

Richard A Lee || Lead Associate / Senior Ontologist || lee_richard@bah.com<mailto:lee_richard@bah.com>