ctakes-user mailing list archives

From "Masanz, James J." <Masanz.Ja...@mayo.edu>
Subject RE: How to augment/modify UMLS resources?
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2014 21:45:05 GMT
The separately downloadable UMLS dictionary formatted for cTAKES [1], not counting medication
names (RxNorm), is in a database [2]. So you could add to that database whatever terms you
want.

The RxNorm dictionary is in a Lucene index (though there is a related jira ticket open so
that maybe it will end up in the same database) so to add to the currently used medications
list, would probably best be done programmatically using the Lucene API (someone with more
Lucene end-user experience, please chime in)

cTAKES provides a way to look up terms in a flatfile dictionary that you would provide. See
the files that end with .csv within
ctakes-dictionary-lookup-res\src\main\resources\org\apache\ctakes\dictionary\lookup

The flatfile is not used directly in conjunction with the database file of terms from UMLS
– to use the two together, you would have one annotator configured to use that flatfile
for the dictionary, and have a second annotator configured to use the database file.

Some things to be aware of if you went that route
 - each note would be processed by both, and if you had terms in your flatfile that duplicated
what was in the database, you would end up with double annotations
 - each note would be processed in effect twice (not by the entire pipeline thankfully) so
it would be a slower than just using one.

As far as something being annotated that you don't want annotated, within the LookupDesc*xml
file being used, there can be an excludeList to have "men" no longer annotated.  See LookupDesc_DrugNER.xml
for an example of using excludeList.

Any improvements or even written steps on any of the above would be a great contribution.

-- James

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/ctakesresources/files/
[2] the relative path to the hsql db is
resources\org\apache\ctakes\dictionary\lookup\umls2011ab