ctakes-user mailing list archives

From digital paula <cybersat...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: cTakes Assertion Component Question - Struck Down ;-)
Date Sat, 16 Nov 2013 19:24:40 GMT
Matt and Pei,

>From now on I'll defer to what you guys say (for the most part ;-) instead of trying to
force things that just aren't meant to be so I'm striking down the question from this post.

I explored the code associated with rendering the concepts and assertion annotations and was
making progress on modifying it to force assertion annotations (to display at the top level)
essentially hacking my way through it till I hit a major wall.   I believe it's the setAssociatedText(or
maybe it's the AssertionType) method that requires concept in the return method and there
were issues when trying to cast it as a string to get it to render which spawned other errors.
   Bottom line is better to leave well enough alone and just focus on what's available downstream
(in entity/event mentions) as you guys suggested.

I do appreciate the responses.

Thanks.

Regards,
Paula

From: cybersation@hotmail.com
To: user@ctakes.apache.org
Subject: RE: cTakes Assertion Component Question
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 12:13:43 -0500

HI Matt,

Thanks for the response.    I was writing a response to Pei when your email came in.   Yes,
I see the properties in Event/Entity Mention that you stated:  Polarity, Uncertainty, Conditional,
Generic, and Subject.     However, please see attachment.....the Assertion component gives
the appearance like it should be able to create annotations since it's stated but has [0].
 The Concept component creates annotations, in this case it's listed with [4] pertaining to
my sample text.

Even if the Assertion and Concept annotations are used internally in the assertion system,
The Concept annotations creates new annotations objects with the two features of interest:
 conceptType and conceptText.  I also see that Assertion has these features defined for them
as well (by looking directly in Assertion.java):  assertionType and assertionText.     As
you can see in the screen capture, I get results for Concept for conceptType and conceptText.
  I would like Assertion to follow suit and display annotations as Concept does.      Regards,Paula