ctakes-user mailing list archives

From digital paula <cybersat...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Dictionary and Assertion rules for the Aggregate Plaintext Processor
Date Tue, 19 Nov 2013 02:47:49 GMT
Thanks James for the response.

I'd like to update that tiny dictionary and see the changes take effect.   I looked in the
dictionary-lookup folders and found a dictionary1.csv file with these entires, I  added 'elbow
'to it  (just typed in and saved file).

ankle|ankle
aspirin|aspirin
cm|cm
cm|cm is a synonym of a UMLS term Cutaneous Mastocytosis which is in SNOMED but cm is not
by itself
hyperlipidemia|hyperlipidemia
knee|knee
knee|knee pain
ld|ld
ld|ld SNOMED procedure C0011911
medical|medical nutrition therapy
nutrition|nutrition
nutrition|nutrition therapy
pain|pain
pain|pain, chronic
weight|weight gain
elbow|elbow

 I typed in the following text in CVD using the plaintext processor that uses the DictionaryLookupAnnotator.xml
 descriptor.

"patient has knee pain and gained significant weight gain due to injury.  Past history of
elbow pain.  family history includes hyperlipidemia. ."

There was no annotation for 'elbow' or 'weight' after executing the AggregatePlaintext AE
processor.  Does something else have to be done to get it to annotate, basically what are
the steps to add terms to the tiny dictionary?

Thanks.

Regards,
Paula

> From: Masanz.James@mayo.edu
> To: user@ctakes.apache.org
> Subject: RE: Dictionary and Assertion rules for the Aggregate Plaintext Processor
> Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 20:17:32 +0000
>
> The "pain" and "aspirin" terms are from a tiny dictionary that has just a handful of
terms with made-up codes/CUIs. (For the record, they are in a lucene index instead of an HSQL
database.) I think "knee" is also in that tiny dictionary.

> As far as I know, the assertion component doesn't work any differently whether you use
the UMLS dictionary or the tiny, sample, made-up dictionary.

> Which dictionary is used is determined by which Dictionary Lookup analysis engine is
included in the aggregate
> DictionaryLookupAnnotator.xml for the tiny one
> DictionaryLookupAnnotatorUMLS.xml for the one that has real UMLS terms and CUIs
>
> -- James

On Behalf Of digital paula
> Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 1:37 PM
> To: user@ctakes.apache.org
> Subject: RE: Dictionary and Assertion rules for the Aggregate Plaintext Processor
>
> Oh, gosh....I meant 'Hello' again.

> From: cybersation@hotmail.com
> To: user@ctakes.apache.org
> Subject: Dictionary and Assertion rules for the Aggregate Plaintext Processor
> Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 14:36:13 -0500
> Hell again cTakes Community,
>
> I think this will be an easy question.     Okay I've decided to start simple by first
exploring the Aggregate Plaintext Processor without ULMS.   Since it's not using ULMS, where
 is the dictionary and the assertion rules being defined?  Can these be modified easily?
 For example,  I see that 'pain' and 'aspirin' gets annotated in text or if text states 'family
history'  this will be noted as well.   Can someone enlighten me as to how cTakes generates
this and if it's easily customizable?