ctakes-user mailing list archives

From "Bohne, Jacqueline R" <bohne.jacquel...@mcrf.mfldclin.edu>
Subject Extracting Symptoms
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2013 15:47:27 GMT
We are trying to create a cTAKES process that will extract all symptoms from our documents.
 In our first attempt, we used the UMLS dictionary and pulled anything with a TUI of T184
(Sign or Symptom).  While this worked, we found that when we compared it to what our Research
Coordinators manually abstracted as symptoms, there were quite a few differences.  When we
looked into these differences we found a lot of the extra terms were considered either Findings
(T033) or Disease or Syndrome (T047) in UMLS.  We would rather not just add these TUIs to
our NLP process because then we would end up with many more terms than just symptoms in our
results.

Has anyone else tried to create a database of symptoms using NLP?  Or are you aware of a better
solution for creating a symptoms database?

Thank you for your time!

Thanks,
Jacquie Bohne
Research Programmer/Analyst
Marshfield Clinic

The contents of this message may contain private, protected and/or privileged information.
 If you received this message in error, you should destroy the e-mail message and any attachments
or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing or using any information
contained within.  Please contact the sender and advise of the erroneous delivery by return
e-mail or telephone.  Thank you for your cooperation.