ctakes-user mailing list archives

From Tim Miller <timothy.mil...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: cTakes with java web application
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2013 15:28:53 GMT
Gira,
Your use case is probably one that will become more and more common, and
cTAKES devs do similar things all the time. I think the hangup to new or
non-dev users (and probably something we need to document better) is
that cTAKES is built on top of UIMA, and so the techniques for running
pipelines and extracting information are actually UIMA and
UIMAFit-based, and so there is nothing like the traditional javadocs
explaining a cTAKES API to rely on.

Pei's sample code is basically UIMA and UIMAFit standard code that
points at cTAKES pipelines, then once that is working the real cTAKES
part is basically just understanding the type system so you know how to
use UIMA API calls to extract the information you need. So maybe better
documentation of the type system (maybe in javadoc style) is something
that cTAKES should prioritize.

Tim