ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Savova, Guergana" <Guergana.Sav...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: Best combination of analysis engines to consider negation, family history, uncertainty, etc.
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2016 17:03:21 GMT
Hi Yiming,
Re your question about gold standard datasets. In parallel with releasing best performing
methods in cTAKES, we have generated several gold standard datesets. Our plan is to start
distributing them through a unified effort -- a health NLP Center. See attached exec summary.
We hope to have the Center running in the very near future.

Cheers,
--Guergana

-----Original Message-----
From: Zuo Yiming [mailto:yimingzuo@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 12:22 PM
To: dev@ctakes.apache.org
Subject: Re: Best combination of analysis engines to consider negation, family history, uncertainty,
etc.

Hi Sean and Timothy,

Thanks for your clarification about ClearTK tools. I'm amazed by the power of cTAKES and the
resource and community you guys take efforts to built. I will certainly be happy to provide
more feedback as my project moves on.

For Timothy,

By rule-based system, do you refer to the assertion annotator? How about the old negation
annotator and the status annotator, are they also ruled-based system? I got a feeling that
assertion annotator and ClearTK system are more favored than negation annotator and the status
annotator for some reason in cTAKES right now.

Regarding ClearTK system on my test files, the negation, history, uncertainty modules work
just fine as the assertion annotator. My test files are only a few, so it's really hard to
tell which one is better. The main difference comes when detecting subject and generic property.
On my limited test files, ClearTK system doesn't work at all. It will assign patient as the
subject for all detected phrases when it's the patient's family member who have diabetes.
The same problem goes to the generic property, ClearTK system assigns false as the generic
property for all detected phrases. The paper mentioned by you and Sean seems interesting,
I will take a look later.

As for further questions, can you guys give me some suggestions where to find public golden
standard datasets so I can actually conduct some independent evaluation of cTAKES by metrics
like precision/recall and F1 score?

At last, a minor suggestion from the user perspective will be to add the preferred words property
to the AggregatePlaintextUMLSProcessor. Like I pointed out briefly in my first email, using
AggregatePlaintextFastUMLSProcessor we can get the preferred words for detected phrases but
not AggregatePlaintextUMLSProcessor. This is very helpful when the detected phrases are acronyms
such as pt for patient. From my experience, AggregatePlaintextUMLSProcessor tend to detect
more clinical relevant phrases compared with AggregatePlaintextFastUMLSProcessor. It will
be really nice if we can have the same preferred words property in AggregatePlaintextUMLSProcessor
in future cTAKES release.

Best,
Yiming

--
Yiming Zuo <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sites.google.com_site_yimingzuo_&d=DQIBaQ&c=qS4goWBT7poplM69zy_3xhKwEW14JZMSdioCoppxeFU&r=SeLHlpmrGNnJ9mI2WCgf_wwQk9zL4aIrVmfBoSi-j0kfEcrO4yRGmRCJNAr-rCmP&m=h2xGj7JrNP5pTj6fU4IE9EdNfbJZ0FkOk3swxGR91E4&s=zDQKdGR1qvXq0eeMIGpXofXm-JpOb8J7iC6XIlqEjfA&e=
Dr. Ressom's Omics Lab <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__omics.georgetown.edu_&d=DQIBaQ&c=qS4goWBT7poplM69zy_3xhKwEW14JZMSdioCoppxeFU&r=SeLHlpmrGNnJ9mI2WCgf_wwQk9zL4aIrVmfBoSi-j0kfEcrO4yRGmRCJNAr-rCmP&m=h2xGj7JrNP5pTj6fU4IE9EdNfbJZ0FkOk3swxGR91E4&s=8Rio1GmvriiEeWqhgJ9kyY6ykiwgKdKKR4XWFWFfEGU&e=
Computational Bioinformatics & Bio-imaging Laboratory <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.cbil.ece.vt.edu_&d=DQIBaQ&c=qS4goWBT7poplM69zy_3xhKwEW14JZMSdioCoppxeFU&r=SeLHlpmrGNnJ9mI2WCgf_wwQk9zL4aIrVmfBoSi-j0kfEcrO4yRGmRCJNAr-rCmP&m=h2xGj7JrNP5pTj6fU4IE9EdNfbJZ0FkOk3swxGR91E4&s=KLQqKplLX_oCGE9TY63PGAw_mjyg26FSV_SSQckScaQ&e=