ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Miller, Timothy" <Timothy.Mil...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Best combination of analysis engines to consider negation, family history, uncertainty, etc.
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2016 15:11:40 GMT
I can second Sean's thank you, it is good to have this feedback. The ClearTK machine learning
models were made the default after we ran some experiments that found it performed better
across a range of standard datasets than rule-based algorithms or the existing cTAKES module
(http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0112774). Since making them
the default, though, we have heard from people and had our own experience conflict with those
experiments. And certainly the errors in the rule-based system are easier to understand.

Just curious, are you able to characterize the errors you see from the ClearTK system? I did
some experiments recently on a new dataset comparing negex with the cleartk negation module
and found that there was a precision/recall tradeoff but almost identical F1 scores. But for
that dataset the tradeoff negex provided was preferred by our collaborators. (I think negex
had better recall of negated terms but worse precision).

Tim

From: Finan, Sean <Sean.Finan@childrens.harvard.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 10:53 AM
To: dev@ctakes.apache.org
Subject: RE: Best combination of analysis engines to consider negation, family history, uncertainty,
etc.

Hi Yiming,

Thank you very much for letting the community know what has and has not worked for you.  I
have also had better results with the Assertion annotators than the ClearTk alternatives,
but that could be because of the note types/formats that I am using.

Regarding the "Clear" in names, it is because ClearTk (Clear ToolKit) is used to train machine
learning models for detection of the indicated property.  You can find information on ClearTk
starting here:  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__clear.colorado.edu_compsem_&d=DQIGaQ&c=qS4goWBT7poplM69zy_3xhKwEW14JZMSdioCoppxeFU&r=Heup-IbsIg9Q1TPOylpP9FE4GTK-OqdTDRRNQXipowRLRjx0ibQrHEo8uYx6674h&m=aRk0CH-2UrNpH0F4PgdnzixY-xVsh8OYTCP8mhe27Gw&s=0mEmiKK5adFN2YCkYyNCNM3Cv4FNWlMbN8XU6GtcQP4&e=

If you prefer to read a paper, you can check out https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.lrec-2Dconf.org_proceedings_lrec2014_pdf_218-5FPaper.pdf&d=DQIGaQ&c=qS4goWBT7poplM69zy_3xhKwEW14JZMSdioCoppxeFU&r=Heup-IbsIg9Q1TPOylpP9FE4GTK-OqdTDRRNQXipowRLRjx0ibQrHEo8uYx6674h&m=aRk0CH-2UrNpH0F4PgdnzixY-xVsh8OYTCP8mhe27Gw&s=T-pZCKB6BckhHzvYc9gyutCmKQlhitdO_-i4e387tjM&e=

Others no the devlist can provide much more information than can I, so you could post a question
if you like.

Cheers,

Sean