ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Finan, Sean" <Sean.Fi...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: deserialize and process XCAS files
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2016 19:50:46 GMT
Hi Tomasz,

As far as I know, the ae is only instantiated to create the type system, which is then handed
off.  So, you shouldn't need to worry about thread safety problems with the ae.  I have an
idea for deserializing concurrently, but you'll notice that I did things slightly differently
...  this is only a sample and I haven't actually done anything with it:

public class ParallelXcasDeserializer {

   static private final Logger LOGGER = Logger.getLogger( "ParallelXcasDeserializer" );
   static private final int PROCESS_COUNT = 10;
   static private final CasPool CAS_POOL = createCasPool( PROCESS_COUNT );

   static private CasPool createCasPool( final int processCount ) {
      try {
         final AnalysisEngineDescription fastPipelineDesc = ClinicalPipelineFactory.getFastPipeline();
         final AnalysisEngine fastPipeline = AnalysisEngineFactory.createEngine( fastPipelineDesc
);
         return new CasPool( processCount, fastPipeline );
      } catch ( UIMAException | MalformedURLException multE ) {
         LOGGER.error( multE.getMessage() );
      }
      return null;
   }

   static private final class XCasDeserializer implements Runnable {
      private final String _xcasFilePath;
      private XCasDeserializer( final String xcasFilePath ) {
         _xcasFilePath = xcasFilePath;
      }
      @Override
      public void run() {
         final CAS cas = CAS_POOL.getCas();
         try ( InputStream xCasStream = new FileInputStream( _xcasFilePath ) ) {
            XCASDeserializer.deserialize( xCasStream, cas );
            final JCas jCas = cas.getJCas();
            OntologyConceptUtil.getCuis( jCas ).forEach( LOGGER::info );
         } catch ( IOException | SAXException | CASException multE ) {
            LOGGER.error( multE.getMessage() );
         }
         CAS_POOL.releaseCas( cas );
      }
   }

   public static void main( final String... args ) {
      if ( CAS_POOL == null ) {
         LOGGER.error( "Couldn't create CAS Pool, exiting" );
         System.exit( 1 );
      }
      final Path inputDir = Paths.get( args[ 0 ] );
      final ExecutorService executor = Executors.newFixedThreadPool( PROCESS_COUNT );
      try ( DirectoryStream<Path> filePaths = Files.newDirectoryStream( inputDir ) )
{
         for ( Path filePath : filePaths ) {
            executor.execute( new XCasDeserializer( filePath.toString() ) );
         }
      } catch ( IOException ioE ) {
         LOGGER.error( ioE.getMessage() );
      }
      executor.shutdown();
   }

}

You may hit a maximum efficiency because i/o will cause disk thrashing, but 10 threads might
be an ok start.

Sean