ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Finan, Sean" <Sean.Fi...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: Offline access
Date Mon, 16 May 2016 13:12:18 GMT
The agreement that the ctakes core group was able to achieve with the NLM (distributor of UMLS)
was that ctakes would check a user's access rights upon every use of any database derived
from the UMLS.  The reason for this was that the NLM did not want one valid UMLS user to download
the database and then distribute it for use by unaccredited third parties.  We have stuck
to that agreement.  Upon every initial load of either of the distributed ctakes dictionary
modules the user's entered password is checked online with the NLM user registry.

I think that a great compromise would be if somebody could create a "remote checkout" tool,
something that checks-out a virtual license for use while you are on the road.  Maybe coordinate
with the NLM on getting such a thing approved.  As ctakes is open source software you could
start toying with such a client first.  To start, delegate to JdbcRareWordDictionary as does
the UmlsJdbcRareWordDictionary, and delegate to JdbcConceptFactory as does the UmlsJdbcConceptFactory
(for the -fast module).  Then point to the new trial "remote checkout" classes in your .xml
setup file (the default being cTakesHsql.xml).  However, do NOT use these classes directly
or in any production scenario as that would not abide by our agreement with the NLM.  Do not
even check them into sandbox without us getting a new agreement to use such a system with
the NLM.  I must emphasize that publicly doing so could cause us to lose our privileges to
distribute a default dictionary.  You would still be able to download your own UMLS database
and create your own dictionary for use with ctakes, but not every user can do that.  And when
creating your client code favor composition over inheritance as the remote checkout client
should not have IS-A, not that I can enforce anything that you do.

I repeat, NEVER use the JdbcRareWordDictionary and/or JdbcConceptFactory directly unless you
are pointing to a database that was not created using the UMLS as a source.

Sean