ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Savova, Guergana" <Guergana.Sav...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: Combining Knowledge- and Data-driven Methods for De-identification of Clinical Narratives
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2016 21:27:37 GMT
You can re-build the models that feed into MIST. I personally would not use the default model
that MIST comes with as it is not trained on clinical data. In our previous work we found
that hand-annotating about 200 docs for PHI (representative of the sample you are going to
run the models on) results in building a pretty good model - in the 90's for p, r and f1.
However, even with that high performance, the institution that owns the data might be still
reluctant to share as it might pose a violation of HIPAA through some potential PHI leaks.
In cTAKES our approach has been to de-couple the de-identifcation from the NLP/information
extraction. If a user has the need for de-identified data, they could choose their method
-- manual or otherwise -- and then process through cTAKES. Our focus is the NLP/IE space,
while de-identification is a blend of that plus policy....

--Guergana

-----Original Message-----
From: Azad Dehghan [mailto:azad.dehghan@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 4:19 PM
To: dev@ctakes.apache.org
Subject: RE: Combining Knowledge- and Data-driven Methods for De-identification of Clinical
Narratives

Thanks Guergana.

> Yes, the current release of cTAKES has a module for the temporal
expressions which includes dates. The normalizer for the temporal expressions is Steven Bethard's
timenorm code.

Great.

> However, if you do de-identification of dates/temporal expressions,
> you
run the risk of creating incorrect timelines as many of the relative temporal expressions
(e.g. spring of this year, x-mas time, etc.) are unlikely to be correctly shifted by any de-identification
tool.

Indeed, a reason I have not included the dates component.

> One de-identification tool is MIST -- https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__mist-2Ddeid.sourceforge.net_&d=BQIFaQ&c=qS4goWBT7poplM69zy_3xhKwEW14JZMSdioCoppxeFU&r=SeLHlpmrGNnJ9mI2WCgf_wwQk9zL4aIrVmfBoSi-j0kfEcrO4yRGmRCJNAr-rCmP&m=FlURWGr18rKbgM76o8Hxoo1rbC2D2h-kk611lbKnPik&s=5awdXn2I-hRE0-161tqFDGgmYgQQviQg360uHI4fs2s&e=
 .

I don't remember them doing well in the community held evaluation in 2014.
Hence, cDeid :)

> Guergana Savova, PhD, FACMI
> Associate Professor
> PI Natural Language Processing Lab
> Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard Medical School
> 300 Longwood Avenue
> Mailstop: BCH3092
> Enders 144.1
> Boston, MA 02115
> Tel: (617) 919-2972
> Fax: (617) 730-0817
> Harvard Scholar:
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__scholar.harvard.ed
> u_guergana-5Fk-5Fsavova_biocv&d=BQIFaQ&c=qS4goWBT7poplM69zy_3xhKwEW14J
> ZMSdioCoppxeFU&r=SeLHlpmrGNnJ9mI2WCgf_wwQk9zL4aIrVmfBoSi-j0kfEcrO4yRGm
> RCJNAr-rCmP&m=FlURWGr18rKbgM76o8Hxoo1rbC2D2h-kk611lbKnPik&s=3taiTxFp55
> iQUnc6A6Yemg-XzFQrRjo5QZRQeKHQ29c&e=

De-identification of Clinical Narratives

> > This means both training data folders? I have access to the data but
> > not
> to the challenge description.
>
> Yes. Is there any specific information that you are missing?
> >

> >> It would be good to incorporate/refactor (basically, GATE API needs
> >> to be replaced with UIMA API to generate annotation) the two-pass
> >> recognition method for cTAKES - which has a wider application on
longitudinal data.
> >> This method is used on-top of a number NERs.
> >

> > I'll take a look.
> >
> > I do not know how much time I can invest this month. Let's see how
> > many
> phases I can translate.
> >
> > I added the rules for age. Are there jape rules for creating date
> annotations?
> >

> No. I believe cTAKES has existing component(s) to capture dates?
>
> > After all rules are translated, they need some major refactoring.
> > Jape
> and Ruta are quite different in some aspects.
> >
> Ok.
>

> >> Please let me know where I can help. I will be available again in
April.

> >> Cheers,
> >> Azad

> testing-PHI-Gold-fixed?

> extends

> version

> the

system to

but agreed- it

<

cTAKES type system?

are many empty

capitalization

to a trie by
> maven
url and email. I

to examples.csv

about the changes.

sets? Or should

project and in the

Dehghan:

we have them all
completed.

Dehghan <

Dec. as well. If there are

please get in touch.

Klügl"

that I haven't forgot about it.

right now. I hope I will

Pei Chen:

is probably a good

etc.  I think it would be
> if

approach to wiring

that would be required

required for best

I'm not sure if we
> treat

component or part of a
> pipeline

propose a change to the type

 You can probably open up that

see fit.)

at 3:38 AM, Peter Klügl <

project that may serve as an

or how a project should look like?
people set up UIMA project

not what to get inspired by "some

cTAKES repo.

or preferences about the
> preprocessing

and the kind of "output" of the
> project.
components may the componetns rely:

lookup?
the project provide a pipeline or a

16:54 schrieb Azad Dehghan:

> [...]
plans to provide patches for it? Just to

the efforts ...

to help with the translating JAPE to RUTA.

go ahead with the UIMA Ruta

up the project with ruta integration.

arise, just ask :-)

a development dataset which was utilized
> the

and if yes, is it possible to
it

is unfortunately not publicly