ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Finan, Sean" <Sean.Fi...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: Distributing modifiers across conjunctions
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2016 18:41:57 GMT
Hi John,

One thing that you can try is using the "Overlap" version of the dictionary lookup.  It should
identify both "right .... lower quadrant pain" and "left lower quadrant pain" as Sign/Symptoms.

Check https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CTAKES/cTAKES+3.2+-+Fast+Dictionary+Lookup
almost at the bottom: "Text Overlap Match"

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: John Mongan [mailto:john.mongan@ucsf.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 12:30 PM
To: dev@ctakes.apache.org
Subject: Distributing modifiers across conjunctions

I'm working with some text that has a lot of phrases of the form:

right and left lower quadrant pain

In processing this text, I would like to identify the concepts "right lower quadrant pain"
and "left lower quadrant pain", but instead the concepts that get identified are "right" and
"left lower quadrant pain"

I've got some ideas about how I could fix this, but wanted to see if this is a problem that
others have worked on so I don't unnecessarily reinvent any wheels.

Thanks,

John