ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Miller, Timothy" <Timothy.Mil...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject umls graph api
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2016 19:59:25 GMT
I've been working on some code for easy querying of the UMLS relation
graph that I think might be useful in ctakes. The repo is here:
https://github.com/tmills/umls-graph-api

If you point it at your umls download you can build the db in about 5
minutes (45 MB). Then the API has a class GraphFunctions with the
following methods:

  public static List<String> getHypernyms(String cui);
  public static List<String> getHyponyms(String cui);
  public static boolean isa(String cui1, String cui2);

These make use of just the "isa" relation in the MRREL file, and could
tell you, for example, that

isa("C0007102",  "C3662248") is true (colon cancer is a finding)
but that
isa("C3662248", "C0007102") is not true.

If people find it useful enough we may wish to add it to ctakes and
perhaps we could redistribute this view of the UMLS subject to the same
username checking we do now for the dictionary. We may wish to include
other relations and ontologies as well -- right now just SNOMED. But
this is the skeleton and I think with this starting point adding new
capabilities will be pretty easy.

Tim