ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From britt fitch <britt.fi...@wiredinformatics.com>
Subject Re: cTAKES dictionary lookup behavior question
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2015 23:36:01 GMT
The rare words, given the example terms below are “primary”, “milk”, and “baby”.
The lookup allows for a certain number of “misses”.
The “baby to” hits on “baby” as the rare word.
“baby to” compared to “baby tooth” is 1 “miss” and qualifies as a match. (in practice,
if I recall correctly, “to” is actually discarded entirely, so the comparison is actually
“baby” : “baby tooth”).

Others can correct my napkin logic though.

This is a pretty common scenario when a single term ends up matching to a larger term because
of the allowance of misses.

For example:

“oxygen” > “oxygen therapy”
“pathology” > “pathology department” , “pathology procedure”
“exercise” > “exercise pain management”

Those are just some quick examples. It depends heavily on what the ontology contains though.

Cheers,

Britt

Britt Fitch
Wired Informatics
265 Franklin St Ste 1702
Boston, MA 02110
http://wiredinformatics.com
Britt.Fitch@wiredinformatics.com

> On Nov 12, 2015, at 6:27 PM, Tomasz Oliwa <oliwa@uchicago.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> cTAKES has a dictionary lookup behavior that I cannot explain, you can verify the queries
via the cTAKES demo that has been posted here at: http://52.27.22.206:8080/index.jsp but it
also happens with the current 3.2.2 version and the fast dictionary UMLS lookup