ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Finan, Sean" <Sean.Fi...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject Identification of prostatectomy
Date Fri, 09 Oct 2015 12:53:30 GMT
Hi Sangram,

Just fyi, users of some email apps (e.g. Outlook) may not be able to reply to a message with
a web address in the title.

Now to your question:

>69 y.o. Caucasian gentleman with a history of prostate cancer s/p open RRP in 9/2005 for
a pT2c, GS3+4 prostate cancer excised with a negative margin.

> on what basis I can make out if the patient has underwent prostatectomy

The output has underlined "RRP" and marked it as a procedure with UMLS CUI C0194825 .
As the author of the question, you probably already know that an rrp is a (radical retropubic)
prostatectomy.  However, if you did not then you can see that it is marked in the sentence
as a procedure, making it a candidate.  If you visit the UMLS metathesaurus https://uts.nlm.nih.gov/metathesaurus.html
and enter the CUI C0194825 .  The metathesaurus will display (among other things):
Radical retropubic prostatectomy
Therapeutic or Preventative Procedure
Surgery to remove all of the prostate and nearby lymph nodes through an incision in the wall
of the abdomen.

If you aren't able to use the metathesaurus then you can apply for a free user license from
the nlm: https://uts.nlm.nih.gov//license.html<https://uts.nlm.nih.gov/license.html>

If you would like to have more information (such as term preferred text listing), please add
a jira item as a "nice to have" and maybe somebody will implement it.  It isn't in there now
because I didn't want the display to get cluttered.

Sean