ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Jay Vyas <jayunit100.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CTAKES-377 : Upgrade to Java 8
Date Fri, 18 Sep 2015 14:43:05 GMT
+1 for sure

> On Sep 18, 2015, at 10:06 AM, Ted Strall <tstrall@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Going to Java 8 can provide a lot of benefit to an application like cTAKES.
> The new features added to Java 8 are a game changer in terms of doing data pipelining.
The streams functionality and the ability to do functional programming gives you the opportunity
get 'parallelism almost for free.'
> That means the jvm can use all the available cpu cores without the need to explicitly
write multi-threaded code, as long as you write functional style code (which basically means
no shared variables.) This style of writing code would also make it easier to transition to
a distributed processing environment like Spark or Hadoop.
> Of course, to get the benefit of  'parallelism almost for free' would require using streams
when working with collections and files, along with refactoring important pieces of existing
code to do the same.