ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Oranit Dror <ora...@algotec.co.il>
Subject The fast dictionary pipeline vs. the regular one
Date Sun, 21 Jun 2015 08:37:02 GMT
Hello,

I am using ctakes 3.2.2 with the regular pipeline. Recently, I have tested the fast dictionary
pipeline and indeed it is much faster.
However, I have encountered with several quality differences in the returned annotations.
For example:

1.       With the fast pipeline, the term "GBM" is annotated as "glioblastoma multiforme",
while in the regular pipeline it is annotated as "glioblastoma".
Note that according to the UMLS DB, the concept of "GBM" is "glioblastoma" and "glioblastoma
multiforme" is mapped to a narrower concept.

2.       The word "cm" in a phrase like "5.5 cm X 2.6 cm" is annotated by the regular pipeline
as "Cutaneous Mastocytosis", while in the fast pipeline it is  not annotated as a medical
term (as expected and as in UMLS).

Any explanation for the differences?

Thank you,
Oranit.