ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Damir Olejar <olejar.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Exploiting the power of cTakes, using OpenNLP only
Date Thu, 21 May 2015 16:10:36 GMT
To whom it may concern,

First, I would like to apologize if my question is vague, since I am new
and unaccustomed to the cTakes diction. To keep my question simple and up
to a point, let us assume that I am working only with an Apache OpenNLP. I
do not have any UIMA-specific JAR files included, and let us assume that I
do not want to include any of them (or keep it to a minimum), thus keeping
the project confined to OpenNLP as much as possible.

As far as I know, UIMA is just a framework that does not provide any
specific NLP tools (source:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24186742/is-uima-provides-only-a-wrapper-or-is-it-like-standfordcore-nlp-and-gate).
This means that there should be a way of integrating the cTakes components
with OpenNLP.

What I would like to do is to simply have the Name Entity Recognition (NER)
applied to a text, so I know which word from an inputted sentence is a
medical term.  The perfect option would be if I could have a *.bin file
such as "en-ner-person.bin”, but I think that cTakes does not give us such
an option, since there are no *.bin files.

How would I accomplish such a task? Would there be any code, examples,
tutorials, documentations, pseudo-code, ideas ,… to take a look at?

Thank you kindly for your time, understanding, and a patience.

Damir