ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Finan, Sean" <Sean.Fi...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: UMLS Authentication failing despite correct username and password : why validate ?
Date Thu, 14 May 2015 14:56:26 GMT
Hi Pedro,

I just spoke with Pei, who knows a bit more about the history.  Another part of the "validate
at runtime" implementation is that NLM wants to monitor use of the UMLS.

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Pedro [mailto:teixeira09@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2015 9:43 AM
To: dev@ctakes.apache.org
Subject: Re: UMLS Authentication failing despite correct username and password

Agreed. Doing a direct string comparison seems like it will just break at the very next update.

A). A check to parse the XML result looking for a result tag and that the contents are "True"
seems better

B). I'm not familiar with the history of that particular check but it seems overly restrictive
to require a valid UMLS account check for every single run. If the user has already downloaded
the UMLS isn't that already indicative that they had a valid account? I realize there are
more ways around it in that case but requiring an internet connection just to run one of the
UMLS analysis engines seems... suboptimal.

Thanks for all the help sorting this out!