ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From britt fitch <britt.fi...@wiredinformatics.com>
Subject Re: cTakes setup
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2015 14:36:10 GMT
Hi Mitch,

Are you on a 32 bit machine or a 64 bit machine?
If its 32 you might want to upgrade that as well.
You can also try lowering the Xmx to 2500M but it’ll be tight.

Cheers,

Britt

Britt Fitch
Wired Informatics
265 Franklin St Ste 1702
Boston, MA 02110
http://wiredinformatics.com
Britt.Fitch@wiredinformatics.com

> On Mar 16, 2015, at 9:46 AM, Fawcett, Mitch <MFawcett@ChristianaCare.org> wrote:
>
> Pei,
>
> Thank you. That answers my questions.
>
> I think my real issue lies with my computer only having 4 GB ram with 2.88 GB available
when I run cTakes.   I am getting a vm creation error

> C:\apache-ctakes-3.2.1>cd C:\apache-ctakes-3.2.1
>
> C:\apache-ctakes-3.2.1>java -cp "C:\apache-ctakes-3.2.1/desc/;C:\apache-ctakes-3
> .2.1/resources/;C:\apache-ctakes-3.2.1/lib/*" -Dlog4j.configuration=file:/C:\apa
> che-ctakes-3.2.1/config/log4j.xml -Xms512M -Xmx3G org.apache.uima.tools.cvd.CVD

> Could not reserve enough space for object heap
> Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
> Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
>

> I am putting in a request from our IT department for more ram and I was debating how
much to ask for.

> Thanks
>
> Mitch Fawcett, MBA
> Senior Systems Analyst
> 13 Read's Way, Suite 202
> New Castle, DE 19720
> Voice 302 327-5192
> mfawcett@christianacare.org
>

> Mitch Fawcett, MBA
> Senior Systems Analyst
> 13 Read's Way, Suite 202
> New Castle, DE 19720
> Voice 302 327-5192
> mfawcett@christianacare.org

for searching archived discussions.
> -Could you clarify what you are trying to achieve or the issue that you are experiencing
with the -Xmx?  There are models and dictionaries that get loaded into memory- it's defaulted
to 3gb to accommodate those.
> Increasing it may or may not improve performance; in fact it may even decrease it since
it may cause more work on the GC.  Also, include the version and the pipeline configuration
that you are using and the group may have some suggestions.