ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From vijay garla <vnga...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Negex
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2015 20:11:00 GMT
I think the original ctakes negation AE is in the spirit of Negex, but it
is not Negex.  AFAICT the ctakes negation AE
* requires that triggers are single tokens
* does not support conjuctions (e.g. however, nevertheless) or
post-negation triggers (e.g. free, was ruled out)
* is based on a FSM, which is different from the way Negex rules work
* requires modifying and recompiling code to add negation triggers

We ported the Negex algorithm 1-1 to UIMA to address these issues.  See the
ctakes-ytex-uima\desc\analysis_engine\NegexAnnotator.xml and the
corresponding trigger file
(ctakes-ytex-res\src\main\resources\org\apache\ctakes\ytex\negex\negex_triggers.txt)

Adding triggers requires modifying a text file - much simpler than changing
code and compiling.

-vj