ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Finan, Sean" <Sean.Fi...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: dictionary lookup config for best F1 measure [was RE: cTakes Annotation Comparison
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2015 22:15:27 GMT
Hi James,
Great question.  In truth, you may need to run a few times to find out.  Doing that with a
full pipeline would be tedious, but there is a descriptor in clinical-pipeline named CuisOnlyPlaintextUMLSProcessor.xml
that will only obtain Umls cuis.  It runs ~50,000 notes per hour on my laptop as-is, so I
suggest that you test with that ae.  It has lvg commented out by default (for speed).  Adding
lvg will increase the runtime, but it also will (as you know) find a few additional terms.
  You can try a few configurations without it and then the best option with it.  If you want
to test the default dictionary lookup then you can certainly swap the referenced lookup xmls.

Changes to the fast dictionary configuration are made in two places:
1.  The main descriptor ...-fast/desc/analysis_engine/UmlsLookupAnnotator.xml
2.  The resource (dictionary) configuration file resources/.../fast/cTakesHsql..xml

A few suggestions, in order of impact:
1.  I am guessing that the annotations in clef are human annotated with longest-length spans
only.  In other words, "colon cancer" instead of  "colon cancer" and "cancer".  To best approximate
this style of annotation, edit the cTakesHsql.xml in the section <rareWordConsumer>
and change the selected implementation.  By default it is DefaultTermConsumer (go figure),
but you will want to use the commented-out PrecisionTermConsumer.  As the above cTakesHsql
comment indicates " DefaultTermConsumer will persist all spans.
   PrecisionTermConsumer will only persist only the longest overlapping span of any semantic
group."  Doing this should increase precision, and depending upon how "good" the annotations
are it should not greatly change recall.

2. Just for kicks, try using SemanticCleanupTermConsumer.  It may slightly increase precision,
but it also may decrease recall.  Hopefully it doesn't do much at all (PrecisionTermConsumer
and proper semantic typing in the dictionary should suffice without this term consumer).

3. Especially for task 2 (acronyms & abbreviations), you should try a run with <name>minimumSpan</name>
in UmlsLookupAnnotator.xml set to 2.   This changes the minimum allowable span of a term.
 The default is 3 to increase precision on acronyms & abbreviations, but decreasing to
2 may improve recall on the same.   The dictionary is not built with anything below 2 characters.
4.  On that note (character length), if task 1 does not include acronyms & abbreviations,
then you can try increasing the minimum span length above 3 and see if there is a good increase
in precision without a significant decrease in recall.

5.  Try a few runs with overlapping spans in addition to exact matches.  To do this use the
OverlapJCasTermAnnotator instead of the DefaultJCasTermAnnotator annotator implementation.
 DefaultJCasTermAnnotator is specified in UmlsLookupAnnotator.xml  but I will check in a descriptor
for overlap matching.  There are additional parameters for that option, but I'll email  them
after I checkin.

6.  By default the new lookup uses Sentence as the lookup window.  I did this for two reasons:
1. Not all terms are within Noun Phrases, 2. Some Noun Phrases overlapped, causing repeated
lookups (in my 3.0 candidate trials), and 3. Not all cTakes Noun Phrases are accurate.  Because
the lookup is fast, using a full Sentence for lookup doesn't seem to hurt much.  However,
you can always switch it back to see if precision is increased enough to warrant the decrease
in recall.  This is changed in UmlsLookupAnnotator.xml

I have run my own tests with the various setups, but I don't want to adversely influence what
you run just in case the trends with the share/clef annotations differ.

Sean