ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Petr Zalesky <pzale...@inferscience.com>
Subject Chest pain absent. - polarity
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2014 16:04:27 GMT
I have been investigating how polarity on a sign/symptom gets set and ran
into interesting issue. If a physician's note in a history of present
illness (HPI) says something like:

“Absence of chest pain.”

“Denied chest pain.”

“Chest pain resolved.”

Then cTAKES picks up the term "chest pain", assigns it the correct SNOMED
codes and sets the polarity to -1.  However, some of the de-identified
samples say:

"Chest pain absent."

In this case it is also picked up by cTAKES but in this case the polarity
is set to positive one (1).  I have been trying to figure out if there is a
way to configure cTAKES to detect that.  Any suggestions?