ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From John Green <john.travis.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject YTEX semantic similarity concept graph questions
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2014 00:58:06 GMT
Hope this finds everyone well.

It is not immediately clear to me why

        select distinct cui1, cui2
        from umls.MRREL
        where sab in ('SNOMEDCT')
        and rel in ('PAR')
        order by cui1, cui2

would only be selecting the relationship (REL) of PAR. Im not sure the
selection criteria. This is honestly probably directed mostly at Vijay, but
anyone else with experience in this domain would be a welcome voice. In the
paper on YTEX, for instance, PAR and RB are chosen for UMLS. Why? Does this
have to do with the "flattening" or "orphaning" that UMLS does to the
vocabularies it includes? Why not PAR, RB, and RN? Why not more? Was this a
computational (speed/memory) consideration, or a functional one that my
lack of familiarity to the domain is keeping me from seeing.

Im posting this fairly specific question to the Dev because it directly
relates to building YTEX concept graphs, which is a functionality of our
distro here.

Best!
JG