ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Finan, Sean" <Sean.Fi...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: cTakes output predictability
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2014 14:50:44 GMT
Hi Kim,

One might want compare the Sentence detector that uses end of line characters as sentence
splitters with one that does not.  Such a change in sentence splitting would not only effect
the sentence type discoveries but also practically every type that follows.

Another might want to compare a note with "skin cancer" vs. one in which you replace "skin
cancer" with "melanoma" just to see what the CUI differences might be.  There are changes
in two words vs. one, 11 characters vs. 8, a removed adjective(?), and of course changes in
CUIs.

Of course, if you are just running notes on a new moon and then again on a full moon ...

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Kim Ebert [mailto:kim.ebert@perfectsearchcorp.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 10:41 AM
To: dev@ctakes.apache.org
Subject: Re: cTakes output predictability

Sean,

"...being different because of a possibly intentional difference."

I would like you to elaborate a bit on the what would be intentionally different between the
processing of the same document multiple times. It would help my understanding of cTakes.

Thanks,

Kim Ebert
1.801.669.7342
Perfect Search Corp
http://www.perfectsearchcorp.com/

On 10/07/2014 07:30 AM, Finan, Sean wrote:
> Steve Bethard wrote:
>> I spent some time writing a script for diff-ing CASes
> I urge anyone interested in comparing cTakes CASes / output to use this type of approach.
 Comparison of program output is a post-process task, and unless absolutely necessary code
to juggle data and metadata belongs there.  Attempts to force every module past, present and
Future to abide by fixed orderings, enumerations etc. is not as simple a task as one might
initially think - especially if third-party libraries are involved.  I won't get into problems
associated with why one is comparing output (swapped module?) and IDs, orders etc. being different
because of a possibly intentional difference.

> In addition to or instead of creating a post-processing script, one could write a new
"cas-consumer" that writes output in a desired format - but this should not require changes
to engines.