ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Finan, Sean" <Sean.Fi...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: cTakes output predictability
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2014 13:30:56 GMT
Steve Bethard wrote:
> I spent some time writing a script for diff-ing CASes

I urge anyone interested in comparing cTakes CASes / output to use this type of approach.
 Comparison of program output is a post-process task, and unless absolutely necessary code
to juggle data and metadata belongs there.  Attempts to force every module past, present and
Future to abide by fixed orderings, enumerations etc. is not as simple a task as one might
initially think - especially if third-party libraries are involved.  I won't get into problems
associated with why one is comparing output (swapped module?) and IDs, orders etc. being different
because of a possibly intentional difference.

In addition to or instead of creating a post-processing script, one could write a new "cas-consumer"
that writes output in a desired format - but this should not require changes to engines.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Sean