ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Dligach, Dmitriy" <Dmitriy.Dlig...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: sentence detector model
Date Sat, 27 Sep 2014 16:15:37 GMT
Tim, thanks for working on this!

Question: do we have some formal way of evaluating the sentence detector? Maybe we should
come up with some dev set that would include examples from mimic...

Dima

On Sep 27, 2014, at 8:57, Miller, Timothy <Timothy.Miller@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:

> I have been working on the sentence detector newline issue, training a model to probabilistically
split sentences on newlines rather than forcing sentence breaks. I have checked in a model
to the repo under ctakes-core-res. I also attached a patch to ctakes-core to the jira issue:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CTAKES-41
>
> for people to test. The status of my testing is that it doesn't seem to break on notes
where ctakes worked well before (those where newlines are always sentence breaks), and is
a slight improvement on notes where newlines may or may not be sentence breaks. Once the change
is checked in we can continue improving the model by adding more data and features, but the
first hurdle I'd like to get past is making sure it runs well enough on the type of data that
the old model worked well on. Let me know if you have any questions.