ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Ajay Jain <ajayj...@mobileinsights.net>
Subject Re: De-identified lab tests dataset
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2014 12:25:13 GMT
John,

I am in the initial stages of my project and I'll take whatever dataset you are able to provide
without spending a lot of effort extracting it.

Thanks.
Ajay

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 30, 2014, at 5:22 AM, "John Green" <john.travis.green@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> How large? And across how many EMRs?
>

> JG
> —
> Sent from Mailbox
>
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 6:58 PM, Ajay Jain <ajayjain@mobileinsights.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am working on a related project and trying to figure out
if the code can be repurposed for a lab mention annotator for cTAKES. From what I have seen,
test names from different institutions are not standardized which makes it hard to standardize
the resulting annotation. Getting access to a larger lab tests dataset (structured) will help
me fine tune the model.

>> Hope this helps.
>> Ajay
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>> On Sep 29, 2014, at 2:12 PM, "Savova, Guergana" <Guergana.Savova@childrens.harvard.edu>
wrote:

>>> Ajay,
>>> cTAKES currently does not implement a method to discover labs from the text.
The motivation is that you can get that easily from the structured part of the EMR (what Pete
explained below). Hope this makes sense!
>>> --Guergana

lab test results are reported in tabular form that is most appropriately searched by SQL queries.
 Sometimes lab results are also reported in narrative notes, but parsing those is often more
a matter of deciphering the text structure of tables than of parsing real English text.  What
am I misunderstanding?