ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Finan, Sean" <Sean.Fi...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: Bacterium Dictionary
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2014 20:27:25 GMT
Hi Nick,

I'm pasting (below) from a howto.txt  in the dictionarytool/doc/ directory.

You will want to do the following:
1.  Download / Install the UMLS dictionary source from NIH  (takes a while)
2.  Create a file named "bacterium.tui" containing the single line "T007"
3.  Decide what ctakes dictionary module to use, the default or newer.  Using the default
may be faster for you.
4.  Build the dictionary creator tool.  I can send a prebuilt jar if you have problems.
5.  java -cp DictionaryTool.jar org.apache.ctakes.dictionarytool.DictionaryCreator -fw -umls
pathToUmlsRoot -tui pathToBacterium.tui -ol sanityCheck.bsv

After running #5 with the path to your umls installation and file with "T007" you should have
a bar-separated-value file named sanityCheck.bsv containing all the bacteria entry CUIs and
Text.  If it looks good, then you can use it directly or create a hsql database:
1. copy resource/cachedbtemplate/* to yourDbLocation/  You can also use the memdbtemplate.
2.  rename the * template files to suit your need (nick_bacteria)
3. .  java -cp DictionaryTool.jar org.apache.ctakes.dictionarytool.DictionaryCreator -fw -umls
pathToUmlsRoot -tui pathToBacterium.tui -db nick_bacteria -tbl nick_bacteria

Gotta run,
Sean

>java -cp DictionaryTool.jar org.apache.ctakes.dictionarytool.DictionaryCreator

Dictionary Creator: Creates a flat file Cui|Text or Database Dictionary from UMLS and Orangebook
Database Dictionary can be indexed by each Text's First Word or Rarest Word (for the dictionary)
Minimal Usage: DictionaryCreator -umls pathToUmlsRoot -ol pathToFlatFileOutput

-fw             Create First Word Index
-umls           Umls Root Directory
-ob             Orangebook Path
-fd             Format Data Directory
-tui            Input Tui List Path
-src            Source Type List Path
-ol             Output Cui and Term List Path
-db             Output Database Url
-tbl            Output Database Table

The UMLS Root Directory must be specified
One form of output must be specified using either -ol or -db and -tbl
The default index type for databases is Rare Word Index
If an Orangebook Path is not specified then (orangebook) medication terms are not written
If a Format Data Directory is not specified then the default is used: ./data/default
If an Input Tui List Path is not specified then the cTakes Tuis are used: ./data/default/CtakesAllTuis.txt
If a Source Type List Path is not specified then Snomed is used: ./data/default/CtakesSources.txt

Important: Dictionary entries are appended to the output file or database.
Running the same command twice will result in a database with all terms existing twice.

The data/default/ directory does include non-default possibilities, such as files listing
only single cTakes groups:
e.g. CtakesAnatTuis.txt
and all UMLS groups:
UmlsAllTuis.txt
that can be used with the option -tui ./data/default/UmlsAlltuis.txt

There is also a file with all UMLS sources:
UmlsAllSources.txt
that can be used with the option -src ./data/default/UmlsAllSources.txt

Remember that if you want to output to a database you must specify both the url and table
name:
-db jdbc:hsqldb:file:pathToMyDatabase -tbl myTableName

Also remember that hsqldb requires the entire url to be lowercase.

"Format Data" refers to the data that is used to format the end-result dictionary by trimming
or expanding the umls entries.
It is recommended that the defaults are used, but you are welcome to experiment with your
own.

If you are unfamiliar with hsqldb, there are two template / starting point databases in the
resource/ directory.
cacheddbtemplate/ contains a template for a disk-cached dictionary, and memdbtemplate one
for a fully in-memory dictionary.
Using an in-memory dictionary is orders of magnitude faster than using a disk-cached, but
not a good idea for very large (.5GB?) databases.

There are a few other toys that can be found by perusing the source, such as a tool that creates
a mapping of codes
for like terms in different dictionaries:
ICD10|ICD9|RXNORM|SNOMEDCT
Usage: java -cp DictionaryTool.jar org.apache.ctakes.dictionarytool.CodeMapCreator -umls pathToUmlsRoot
-ol pathToFlatFileOutput

Some of these extra utilities may be experimental or unfinished, so user beware.

At this time the code could use some javadocs and unit tests, plus a little cleanup.  I'm
very busy, so volunteer works is appreciated.

Enjoy