ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Miller, Timothy" <Timothy.Mil...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: markable types
Date Mon, 19 May 2014 20:47:08 GMT

On 05/18/2014 07:40 AM, Anirban Chakraborti wrote:
> Timothy,
>
> 1. so to get concepts of procedure, lab (if any), disease disorder , sign
> symptoms, Anatomical sites , I would need to do
>
> List<MedicationMention> meds = new ArrayList<>(JCasUtil.select(jcas,
> MedicationMention.class) ;
> List<DiseaseDisorderMention> disease = new
> ArrayList<>(JCasUtil.select(jcas, DiseaseDisorderMention.class);
> List<SignSymptomsMention> signs = new ArrayList<>(JCasUtil.select(jcas,
> SignSymptomMention.class);
> List<AnatomicalMention> anatomy = new ArrayList
> <> (JacsUtil.select(jcas,AnatomicalMention.class);
> List <LabMention> labs = new ArrayList <>
> (JacsUtil.select(jcas,LabMention.class);
>
> then check the size of the array { meds, disease, signs, anatomy , labs} ,
> print out the array or make a new array using the Java.utils.List or
> Java.utils.Arraylist  package interfaces as the case might me.  Right ...
yep
> 2. I am more interested in the IdentifiedAnnotation class. However there
> are concepts like FractionAnnotation which are not defined enum in the
> const.java. How do I handle them. Do I need to add to the const.java file.
nope, you probably just want EntityMention (for anatomical sites) and
EventMention (for all clinical events, including DiseaseDisorder,
Procedure, SignSymptom, etc.).

> 3. what exactly is the functional difference between say
> MedicationEventMention .java, MedicationMention.java, Medication.java and
> MedicationEventMention_type.java .  I understand similar difference is
> between class of lab, procedure etc...
The types ending in _type.java are UIMA-internal types, you can ignore.
Medication is a referential type -- something in the real world that
could be referred to multiple times in a document. What you probably
want are the mention types. Here I believe MedicationMention is the
preferred type going forward for a particular mention of a medication in
text (MedicationEventMention is the same thing but not preferred going
forward).

--
Tim Miller
Instructor