ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Miller, Timothy" <Timothy.Mil...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: markable types
Date Sun, 18 May 2014 00:38:15 GMT
Again I'm not sure I understand so please clarify if this isn't what you're looking for.

The Ctakes typesystem represents syntax trees with three types: TopTreebankNode, TreebankNode,
and TerminalTreebankNode. Top and Terminal inherit from TreebankNode with special properties
for being the root of a tree or the leaf of a tree (including the part of speech tag and a
word). For most trees, calling getNodeType() will get you the category you want. For Terminal
trees, getNodeType() and getNodeValue() will have the POS and word respectively. You can get
the subtrees for a node with getChildren() and a specific subtree with getChildren(int), where
the int arg is indexed from 0. Each tree is also connected to its parent by getParent(). Each
node also has its headword denoted by the getHead() method (I think that's right but I'm doing
this from memory so you'll have to check), which is an index into the array of _all_ children
in the sentence. So if tree.getHead() returns 5, then you would call getTerminals() on the
root tree and get the word at index 5 to get the head of the variable tree.
The parser works at the sentence level, so a standard thing is to simultaneously get all trees/sentences
by doing:
for(TopTreebankNode tree : JCasUtil.select(jcas, TopTreebankNode.class)){
  // do something with this tree
}

Hope this helps.
Tim