ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Karthik Sarma <ksa...@ksarma.com>
Subject Re: Clojure, having its origins in LISP, is a better fit for serious NLP work
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:59:01 GMT
Amazon govcloud is likely HIPAA-able, though I also have my reservations

On Friday, January 31, 2014, Richard Eckart de Castilho <rec@apache.org>
wrote:

> I'm sure that REST services have their place in the world, but I sure
> hope that NLP will not move more and more to the cloud.
>
> Consider running a business processing confidential or sensitive data
> with NLP. I'd not at all feel comfortable contracting third-party
> web-services to do that processing for me. I may consider running a
> private cloud at some cloud hosting service, but actually, I may most
> probably tend to set up a private in-house cloud or cluster.
>
> Within research, there have been studies that web services are
> detrimental to reproducibility [1,2]. Services change or become
> unavailable, which can make it difficult to impossible to reproduce
> experimental results.
>
> I sure hope that NLP tools will continue to be distributed as portable
> software. Of course, REST in *addition* to underlying portable
> software and resources are a fine thing.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Richard
>
> [1] How Reliable is Your workflow: Monitoring Decay in Scholarly
> Publications
> J. M. Gómez-Pérez and E. Garcia-Cuesta and J. Zhao and A. Garrido and J.
> E. Ruiz and G. Klyne
>     75  (2013)
>
> [2] Best practices for workflow design: how to prevent workflow decay
> K. M. Hettne and K. Wolstencroft and K. Belhajjame and C. A. Goble and E.
> Mina and H. Dharuri and D. De Roure and L. Verdes-Montenegro and J. Garrido
> and M. Roos
>       (2012)
>

> On 31.01.2014, at 10:24, andy mcmurry <mcmurry.andy@gmail.com<javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > I completely agree.
> >
> > Pure functional programming has the benefit of being immutable which is
> > nice for parallel computing. Clojure/Haskell are both purely functional,
> > whereas Scala can be written functionally if the author chooses. They are
> > all good languages.
> >
> > Groovy also has its place. Groovy is wonderfully simple, especially
> > for "*getting
> > started*" examples for new users familiar with Java.
> >
> > REST would really demystify things (I hope).
> > I'm not a big proponent of "cloud" services, but I imagine more and more
> > NLP processing will up on Amazon with REST calls.
> >
> > --AndyMC
> >

> > On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 9:43 AM, Steven Bethard <
> steven.bethard@gmail.com <javascript:;>>wrote:

> >> work than Groovy
> >>
> >> Sorry, I have to call this one out. I don't think having origins in
> >> LISP makes anything a better fit for serious NLP work. Not that I'm
> >> against Clojure or that I'm recommending Groovy. But there's nothing
> >> inherent about LISP that makes it a better fit for NLP.
> >>
> >> If you want to argue that functional paradigms (e.g. LISP, Haskell,
> >> Scala, Map-Reduce) are better for serious NLP work, I might believe
> >> that argument. But I don't think there's anything special about LISP
> >> that makes it better for NLP than other functional languages.

> [...]

Karthik Sarma
UCLA Medical Scientist Training Program Class of 20??
Member, UCLA Medical Imaging & Informatics Lab
Member, CA Delegation to the House of Delegates of the American Medical
Association
ksarma@ksarma.com
gchat: ksarma@gmail.com
linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/ksarma