ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Bethard <steven.beth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Clojure, having its origins in LISP, is a better fit for serious NLP work
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2014 17:43:41 GMT
On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 5:24 AM, andy mcmurry <mcmurry.andy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Clojure, having its origins in LISP, is a better fit for serious NLP work than Groovy

Sorry, I have to call this one out. I don't think having origins in
LISP makes anything a better fit for serious NLP work. Not that I'm
against Clojure or that I'm recommending Groovy. But there's nothing
inherent about LISP that makes it a better fit for NLP.

If you want to argue that functional paradigms (e.g. LISP, Haskell,
Scala, Map-Reduce) are better for serious NLP work, I might believe
that argument. But I don't think there's anything special about LISP
that makes it better for NLP than other functional languages.

Steve