ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Masanz, James J." <Masanz.Ja...@mayo.edu>
Subject RE: what dictates full medication mention?
Date Thu, 02 Jan 2014 19:51:40 GMT
cTAKES annotates all mentions it finds, so if a shorter one is part of a longer one, you are
supposed to get both/all, just as you are seeing with Ibuprofen and Ibuprofen 100MG.

Offhand I don't know why the Drug NER cTAKES is not also creating a org.apache.ctakes.typesystem.type.textsem.MedicationMention
for "Propranolol 40 MG".  It's not creating one for me either.  I'm using DrugAggregatePlaintextUMLSProcessor.xml
And when I look at UMLS via the UTS, I see an rxnorm entry Propranolol 40 MG [A10426756/RXNORM/SCDC/328608]
for C1123553.

Drug NER component uses a lucene index of terms from RxNorm. It's possible that term is missing
from the index.  I can check on that later today or tomorrow if no one else beats me to it.

I would do it using the Luke tool to inspect the lucene index in
ctakes-resources-3.1.0\resources\org\apache\ctakes\drugner\lookup\rxnorm_index

-- James

-----Original Message-----
From: dev-return-2355-Masanz.James=mayo.edu@ctakes.apache.org [mailto:dev-return-2355-Masanz.James=mayo.edu@ctakes.apache.org]
On Behalf Of Chase Master
Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2014 1:30 PM
To: dev@ctakes.apache.org
Subject: what dictates full medication mention?

Hi,

I have a quick question.  When I run the cTAKES drugNER module on
"Ibuprofen 100 MG" and "Propranolol 40 MG", I get an annotation for both
Ibuprofen 100MG and Ibuprofen for the first case, but for the second case I
only get Propranolol, by itself.  It does show the strength as 40MG for
Propranolol, but it doesn't create a medication mention with full covered
text as "Propranolol 40 MG".
Both of these have the same semantic type, I noticed ( [T200]).

Thanks,
Chase