ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Clojure, having its origins in LISP, is a better fit for serious NLP work
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2014 10:22:12 GMT
I'm sure that REST services have their place in the world, but I sure
hope that NLP will not move more and more to the cloud.

Consider running a business processing confidential or sensitive data
with NLP. I'd not at all feel comfortable contracting third-party
web-services to do that processing for me. I may consider running a
private cloud at some cloud hosting service, but actually, I may most
probably tend to set up a private in-house cloud or cluster.

Within research, there have been studies that web services are
detrimental to reproducibility [1,2]. Services change or become
unavailable, which can make it difficult to impossible to reproduce
experimental results.

I sure hope that NLP tools will continue to be distributed as portable
software. Of course, REST in *addition* to underlying portable
software and resources are a fine thing.

Cheers,

-- Richard

[1] How Reliable is Your workflow: Monitoring Decay in Scholarly Publications
J. M. Gómez-Pérez and E. Garcia-Cuesta and J. Zhao and A. Garrido and J. E. Ruiz and G.
Klyne
    75  (2013)

[2] Best practices for workflow design: how to prevent workflow decay
K. M. Hettne and K. Wolstencroft and K. Belhajjame and C. A. Goble and E. Mina and H. Dharuri
and D. De Roure and L. Verdes-Montenegro and J. Garrido and M. Roos
      (2012)