ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Chen, Pei" <Pei.C...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: cTAKES Virtual Machine update
Date Mon, 23 Dec 2013 16:44:40 GMT
I can ping ASF infra to see if they offer any vm's for Demo's etc. will revert back to see
what I find out.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 23, 2013, at 10:17 AM, "Masanz, James J." <Masanz.James@mayo.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Andy,
>
> It's great to see such enthusiasm!
>
> I like all the ideas. I don't know how we ensure our image doesn't end up out of date,
but I think it's worth doing -- and given the size of our community, I hope it will be able
to be kept up to date.

> I'm not sure where we would host the public demo server, and since keeping the image
itself up to date would be needed in order to keep the live public/demo server up to date,
my thoughts are to start with 2 and 3 and decide about #1 later.

> -- James

On Behalf Of Andrew McMurry
> Sent: Friday, December 20, 2013 7:02 PM
> To: dev@ctakes.apache.org
> Subject: cTAKES Virtual Machine update
>
> "Eating your own dog food"
>
> I've bundled a NLP appliance containing UMLS and cTAKES and I'm migrating services to
the AWS cloud.
> Throughout this process I have extensively documented the steps and I made a VM target
for Ubuntu 13.04.

> I would have used the iDASH appliance but it is no longer maintained and was way out
of date.
> From conversations and experiences witth iDASH and NCBO bioportal I strongly support
a VM option for cTAKES downloads.

> Suggestions
>
> #[ 1 ] Public demo server (instance of VM)
> For new users, this is the "hook" that motivates them to get involved BEFORE licensing
and install.
> http://bioportal.bioontology.org/annotator
>
> #[ 2 ] Downloading the public demo server is power !
> http://nlp-ecosystem.ucsd.edu/
> http://bioportal.bioontology.org/virtual_appliance
>
> #[ 3 ] Example code for each cTAKES component is game changing
>
> cTAKES has an impressive set of components, but no way to try them out.
> http://ctakes.apache.org/components.html
>
> Whereas you can play with the components of Bioportal, for example
> http://data.bioontology.org/documentation
>
> I'm sharing these experiences and suggestions because I truly do believe they are crucial
and likely more important than any level of new-features that can be added.