ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McMurry <andrew.mcmu...@invitae.com>
Subject cTAKES Virtual Machine update
Date Sat, 21 Dec 2013 01:01:38 GMT
"Eating your own dog food"

I've bundled a NLP appliance containing UMLS and cTAKES and I'm migrating services to the
AWS cloud.
Throughout this process I have extensively documented the steps and I made a VM target for
Ubuntu 13.04.

I would have used the iDASH appliance but it is no longer maintained and was way out of date.

From conversations and experiences witth iDASH and NCBO bioportal I strongly support a VM
option for cTAKES downloads.

Suggestions

#[ 1 ] Public demo server (instance of VM)
For new users, this is the "hook" that motivates them to get involved BEFORE licensing and
install.
http://bioportal.bioontology.org/annotator

#[ 2 ] Downloading the public demo server is power !
http://nlp-ecosystem.ucsd.edu/
http://bioportal.bioontology.org/virtual_appliance

#[ 3 ] Example code for each cTAKES component is game changing

cTAKES has an impressive set of components, but no way to try them out.
http://ctakes.apache.org/components.html

Whereas you can play with the components of Bioportal, for example
http://data.bioontology.org/documentation

I'm sharing these experiences and suggestions because I truly do believe they are crucial
and likely more important than any level of new-features that can be added.

Hoping this message finds you well.
I will soon circulate a copy of a VM to play around with and get feedback.

Thoughts?

--AndyMC