ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Masanz, James J." <Masanz.Ja...@mayo.edu>
Subject RE: scala and groovy
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2013 21:46:25 GMT

Thanks Richard for doing all that testing.

But the idea that we cannot easily get to what is causing the issue, together with the fact
Tim was able to reproduce one of my issues [1], leads me to question using dynamic downloading
of anything for our users.

I would prefer to see a single download that a user extracts from, which I see having the
following advantages
 - no mysterious suspected network issues
 - user can be told how much space will be taken up
 - user has easy control where things will be put (rather than having to configure where grapes
will be stored, if user does not want them under their home directory)

That's my 2 cents.

Yes, I am behind a firewall. And in fact I am VPN'd in to work. But I suspect some of our
users do that too.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/lgo7eyruotl7nnix

-- James

-----Original Message-----
From: dev-return-2322-Masanz.James=mayo.edu@ctakes.apache.org [mailto:dev-return-2322-Masanz.James=mayo.edu@ctakes.apache.org]
On Behalf Of Richard Eckart de Castilho
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2013 3:36 PM
To: dev@ctakes.apache.org
Subject: Re: scala and groovy

Hi James,

I enabled info on the grape resolving using

  export JAVA_OPTS="-Dgroovy.grape.report.downloads=true $JAVA_OPTS"

Then I tried your script three times.

1) First, I just ran without any changes to my system (custom grapeConfig.xml which avoids
using .m2/repository, no flush of ~/groovy/grapes). It downloaded some missing artifacts and
printed the message.

2) Then I deleted my ~/.groovy/grapes folder and tried again. It downloaded all artifacts
and printed the message.

3) Then - just to make sure - I removed my customized grapeConfig.xml. Then I deleted my ~/.m2/repository
and ~/.groovy/grapes again. It downloaded all artifacts and printed the message. It couldn't
be a cleaner test then this one, I suppose.

So here is the output full of the third run:

$ ./blah
Resolving dependency: org.cleartk#cleartk-util;0.9.2 {default=[default]}
Preparing to download artifact org.cleartk#cleartk-util;0.9.2!cleartk-util.jar
Preparing to download artifact org.apache.uima#uimaj-core;2.4.0!uimaj-core.jar
Preparing to download artifact org.uimafit#uimafit;1.4.0!uimafit.jar
Preparing to download artifact args4j#args4j;2.0.16!args4j.jar
Preparing to download artifact com.google.guava#guava;13.0!guava.jar
Preparing to download artifact com.carrotsearch#hppc;0.4.1!hppc.jar
Preparing to download artifact commons-io#commons-io;2.4!commons-io.jar
Preparing to download artifact commons-lang#commons-lang;2.4!commons-lang.jar
Preparing to download artifact org.apache.uima#uimaj-tools;2.4.0!uimaj-tools.jar
Preparing to download artifact org.springframework#spring-core;3.1.0.RELEASE!spring-core.jar
Preparing to download artifact org.springframework#spring-context;3.1.0.RELEASE!spring-context.jar
Preparing to download artifact org.apache.uima#uimaj-cpe;2.4.0!uimaj-cpe.jar
Preparing to download artifact org.apache.uima#uimaj-document-annotation;2.4.0!uimaj-document-annotation.jar
Preparing to download artifact org.apache.uima#uimaj-adapter-vinci;2.4.0!uimaj-adapter-vinci.jar
Preparing to download artifact org.apache.uima#jVinci;2.4.0!jVinci.jar
Preparing to download artifact org.springframework#spring-asm;3.1.0.RELEASE!spring-asm.jar
Preparing to download artifact commons-logging#commons-logging;1.1.1!commons-logging.jar
Preparing to download artifact org.springframework#spring-aop;3.1.0.RELEASE!spring-aop.jar
Preparing to download artifact org.springframework#spring-beans;3.1.0.RELEASE!spring-beans.jar
Preparing to download artifact org.springframework#spring-expression;3.1.0.RELEASE!spring-expression.jar
Preparing to download artifact aopalliance#aopalliance;1.0!aopalliance.jar
Downloaded 8478 Kbytes in 44860ms:
  [SUCCESSFUL ] org.cleartk#cleartk-util;0.9.2!cleartk-util.jar (1385ms)
  [SUCCESSFUL ] org.apache.uima#uimaj-core;2.4.0!uimaj-core.jar (5326ms)
  [SUCCESSFUL ] org.uimafit#uimafit;1.4.0!uimafit.jar (1553ms)
  [SUCCESSFUL ] commons-lang#commons-lang;2.4!commons-lang.jar (2357ms)
  [SUCCESSFUL ] org.apache.uima#uimaj-tools;2.4.0!uimaj-tools.jar (2097ms)
  [SUCCESSFUL ] org.apache.uima#uimaj-cpe;2.4.0!uimaj-cpe.jar (1625ms)
  [SUCCESSFUL ] org.apache.uima#uimaj-adapter-vinci;2.4.0!uimaj-adapter-vinci.jar (1035ms)
  [SUCCESSFUL ] org.apache.uima#jVinci;2.4.0!jVinci.jar (1475ms)
  [SUCCESSFUL ] org.apache.uima#uimaj-document-annotation;2.4.0!uimaj-document-annotation.jar
(715ms)
  [SUCCESSFUL ] org.springframework#spring-core;3.1.0.RELEASE!spring-core.jar (1992ms)
  [SUCCESSFUL ] org.springframework#spring-asm;3.1.0.RELEASE!spring-asm.jar (1044ms)
  [SUCCESSFUL ] commons-logging#commons-logging;1.1.1!commons-logging.jar (904ms)
  [SUCCESSFUL ] org.springframework#spring-context;3.1.0.RELEASE!spring-context.jar (2643ms)
  [SUCCESSFUL ] org.springframework#spring-aop;3.1.0.RELEASE!spring-aop.jar (1988ms)
  [SUCCESSFUL ] aopalliance#aopalliance;1.0!aopalliance.jar (798ms)
  [SUCCESSFUL ] org.springframework#spring-beans;3.1.0.RELEASE!spring-beans.jar (2178ms)
  [SUCCESSFUL ] org.springframework#spring-expression;3.1.0.RELEASE!spring-expression.jar
(4688ms)
  [SUCCESSFUL ] args4j#args4j;2.0.16!args4j.jar (1289ms)
  [SUCCESSFUL ] com.google.guava#guava;13.0!guava.jar (4265ms)
  [SUCCESSFUL ] com.carrotsearch#hppc;0.4.1!hppc.jar (4001ms)
  [SUCCESSFUL ] commons-io#commons-io;2.4!commons-io.jar (1444ms)
Hello World with @Grab annotations

I cannot help but believe that there is something that is messing up with your network connections.
Packet drops? Firewall with virus filter? I have no idea what.

-- Richard