ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McMurry <mcmurry.a...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cTAKES Groovy…Examples? Relatively low effort, potentially game changing
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2013 23:30:39 GMT
Most Open Source frameworks come with an "project-examples.zip" folder.

I can't help but think that the Groovy parser code and ctakes-gui make excellent EXAMPLES
for potential users.
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ctakes/sandbox/

Imagine if each ctakes-component had an example Groovy script that shows how to use each component
complete with the pubmed citation for each!
http://ctakes.apache.org/components.html

Now imagine you could just download a VM and run the examples "out of the box".
I'll follow up in a separate thread about the VM progress.

I am passionate about improving the "first time user" experience.

Why? John Resig (creator of jQuery) gave a convincing (if not damning) synopsis of how open
source projects lose users.
I think our user base could be easily 10X if we follow his advice:
http://lanyrd.com/2009/harvard-open-source-retreat/scdrkh/

Thoughts??

PS: My research interest in NLP/ machine learning methods is taking second priority to helping
the "first time user" experience.
It is imperative we get this stuff right.

On Dec 4, 2013, at 7:09 AM, Tim Miller <timothy.miller@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Very cool. I was noticing that it was downloading the umls resources which the parser
itself doesn't need -- so I made a change to not grab clinical-pipeline and grab directly
the things it was getting through that reference and now it runs even faster with only a 35M
initial download.

> I'd like to check in my change -- should we keep working out of sandbox or can we maybe
put groovy scripts somewhere alongside the projects they belong to? Maybe in the scripts/
directory or scripts/groovy, scripts/perl, etc.? Any opinions on this?

> Tim
>

> On 11/27/2013 12:19 PM, Chen, Pei wrote:
>> The sample constituency parser printer should be working now...
>> Just copy and paste the text to parser.groovy and make it executable.
>> All you should need is groovy installed on your machine.
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ctakes/sandbox/groovy/parser.groovy
>> $ parser.groovy input
>> Reading from directory: input
>>  (TOP (S (NP-SBJ (NN patient)) (VP (VBD took) (NP (NP (NNS 50mg)) (PP (IN of) (NP
(NP (NN aspirin)) (PP (IN for) (NP (NP (NN pain)) (PP-LOC (IN in) (NP (NN knee)))))))))(.
.)))