ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew McMurry <mcmurry.a...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cTAKES user interface
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2013 23:14:50 GMT

Maven solves the dependency problem. VM solves an installation problem.

OK So I should put my money where my mouth is. :)
OK I'll make a cTakes VM (Ubuntu 13.10).
I basically have to do this anyway.

We must admit it is pretty tough to setup cTakes even with all the nicely written docs.
NLP is complicated. CTAKES is a powerful and configurable engine.

Nonetheless, the user request is completely well warranted.
" How do I just make it work for the simplest case of copy pasting text into a console window
? "

In my experiences Maven is great for dependancies of code (jars, wars, zips) but
really struggles with DEPLOY and INSTALLATION tasks, especially across OS systems.

Most of the FOSS community has moved past maven for DEPLOY tasks.
Puppet, Capistrano, and custom shell scripts are far more frequently used than Maven for DEPLOY
targets.

How does everyone feel about having trying a VM distribution and see how it goes?
Volunteers thus far: AndyMC (me)

On Oct 29, 2013, at 2:52 PM, "Chen, Pei" <Pei.Chen@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:

> +1
> Pan, the short answer is yes- it can be done in CLI.
> The problem is that most of us who are already familiar with the nitty gritty are probably
doing this with some sort of custom scripts or solution.
> Cc' the dev group to get a fresh perspective; not sure what the easiest would be-- run
the CPE via command line with default input/output directories or running a Driver Main Class
as part of examples.