ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Bleeker, Troy C." <Bleeker.T...@mayo.edu>
Subject RE: cTAKES user interface
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2013 17:04:32 GMT
I agree that we got new users to a certain point. Much better than years back, but not as fast
as could be.

If you go down the VM route you have to make some choices. They don't all play in the same
sand box. Would you do a VMWare VM or would you do an AWS cloud RC2 instance or something
else. Which one is best for the community. Going back and forth with one image can be done
but I've never seen it be straight forward. No matter the choice would, you leave out more
people than if you chose to write deploy scripts because they don't use a particular virtual
machine world?

For these reasons I think would be better to focus on a deploy script:
- Easier to maintain and download
- Can be checked into the code repository
- Can support more than one OS
- VMs make decisions for users that could be choices in a script
- (weak argument) One could argue that given a VM a user might not learn enough to be successful
doing a deploy once thy like cTAKES and want to use it in their enterprise after having only
known the VM
- everything you said about DEPLOY and scripts

Arguments against deploy scripts:
- Which framework do most people use Puppet, Capistrano, Chef? They don't play nice together
either, so going from one to the other is a pain
- Needs documentation on how to use the deploy script as a user could be new to the deploy
framework

Thanks
Troy