ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Roberto Costumero Moreno <roberto.costum...@upm.es>
Subject cTAKES Translation
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2013 10:40:35 GMT
Hello everyone,

My name is Roberto Costumero and I am working for the Technical University of Madrid in Spain
doing my Ph.D. studies and I am new to this list, so I am introducing myself and posting some
doubts I have.

We are currently involved in a project together with several hospitals and we are working
closely with them into getting to know their necessities in order to build an application
for them to use the knowledge of their clinical notes, imaging among other things.

We have been looking for different projects to see which one will fits our needs and, of course,
which will we will share our investigations with. Among the different projects we have seen
in the field of clinical text analysis we think that cTAKES is the best one out there and
it is very well structured and organized, but the main problem we are facing is that every
clinical text-based NLP project is developed for English and we will be working with Spanish
texts.

We have already done some work for testing different algorithms translating them to Spanish
to detect negation and context dependency but we would like to use a well-tested complete
framework to work with, so we thought about cTAKES, so I have a couple of questions for you.

- Does anyone know if someone is already working in translating cTAKES modules to work with
other languages (Spanish in particular)?
- Do you think it would be very difficult to do it because of any architectural design I am
not currently aware of?
- Do you think it would be a good line of development (for the cTAKES project) to extend cTAKES
to work together into translating it to Spanish in this case?

Sincerely,

--
Roberto Costumero Moreno
Laboratorio de Minería de Datos y Simulación (MIDAS)