ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Masanz, James J." <Masanz.Ja...@mayo.edu>
Subject RE: Synonymous terms
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2013 15:13:16 GMT
I think it depends on
 - what terminologies you want to get the synonyms from
 - if you care that the dictionaries used by cTAKES have been tokenized by cTAKES

If you are happy with the 4 terminologies (SNOMED-CT, NCI thesaurus, MeSH, and ICD-9) that
cTAKES uses for things like diseases/disorders, and you don't mind cTAKES' tokenization of
the terms, then you could use the tables within the ctakes-resources database.

I think a better option though would be to use an external API or download you own copy of
the UMLS metathesaurus, and just get all terms for the given CUI, subsetted by whatever set
of terminologies you are interested in.

Note, the UMLS folks are careful to state that just because 2 atoms map to the same UMLS Concept
and therefore CUI, they should not be called synonyms.

From: samir chabou [mailto:samirchb@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 6:33 PM
To: Masanz, James J.; 'dev@ctakes.apache.org'
Subject: Re: Synonymous terms

thanks James for the info.,
do you know if there is a way in cTAKES to allow me getting the synonyms for a given CUI ?
  or should i try to use an external API that could do that ?

On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 10:55:54 AM, "Masanz, James J." <Masanz.James@mayo.edu>
wrote:

ontologyConceptArray only contains SNOMED-CT codes (except for medications, where it contains
RxNorm codes or CUIs)