ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Miller, Timothy" <Timothy.Mil...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: specificity in selecting EntityMentions when using AggregatePlaintextUMLSProcessor
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2013 01:44:07 GMT
That is a good question, Ted!

I tried it with a simple context: "The patient has a CIN III." I'm not
sure if that is a correct context but I was able to duplicate your
findings. (Finds a CUI for CIN III but not if you change it to CIN II)

My first thought was that it is the chunker. But the chunker seems to
get it right, as CIN II and CIN III are both called NPs, and similarly
the LookupWindowAnnotator handles them both identically. So that
suggests it is a problem with the actual lookup of the tokens in the
LookupWindow.

That's all I can do for now but maybe someone else who knows more about
its behavior offhand will have an idea.

Tim

On 09/03/2013 08:24 PM, Assur, Ted wrote:
> I'm trying to understand what would prevent the AggregatePlaintextUMLSProcessor AE from
correctly parsing specific problems that are defined in the UMLS version used by cTAKES.

> For example,
> CIN (Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia) in its general usage is parsed out as UMLS CUI
C0206708.

> CIN comes in 3 grades, 1, 2 and 3. Sometimes this is reported with Roman Numerals, I,II,
and III.

> cTAKES correctly identifies "CIN 3" and "CIN III" with UMLS CUI C0851140: "Carcinoma
in situ of uterine cervix."

> However, I cannot get it to recognize CIN 1, CIN I, CIN 2, or CIN II as their correct
concepts, "Cervical intraepithelial neoplasia grade 1" and "Cervical intraepithelial neoplasia
grade 2" respectively.

> Is there a way to tune the detection of UMLS concepts?

> Ted Assur
> IT Solutions Architect for Cancer Research
> Providence Health & Services
> ted.assur@providence.org
> 503-215-6476
>
> Crede, ut intelligas.
> Intellego, ut credam.

> This message is intended for the sole use of the addressee, and may contain information
that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
not the addressee you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute
to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this
message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete this message.