ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Chen, Pei" <Pei.C...@childrens.harvard.edu>
Subject RE: Information Regarding Apache cTAKES-3.0
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2013 19:38:21 GMT
[+dev]
Hi Arohi,
I'm glad that you have it working.
To get started, I think a good place to get started would be to take a look at the current
type system[1] which outlines the output[2] that cTAKES currently supports.
As you already found, the IdentifiedAnnotation (and it's subsclasses such as xMention, and
the UmlsConcept codes)
Unfortunately, there isn't much more documentation than what's in the current guides[4] at
this point in time.  However, the mailing lists are a great place to look for answers you
may have.  To learn more about the flow of control of the code, you may want to check out
the UIMA [4] framework which cTAKES is built on top of.
[1] http://ctakes.apache.org/user-faqs.html#what-are-the-available-attributes-types-in-ctakes
[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ctakes/trunk/ctakes-type-system/src/main/resources/org/apache/ctakes/typesystem/types/TypeSystem.xml
[3] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CTAKES/cTAKES+3.1+Component+Use+Guide
[4] http://uima.apache.org

I hope that helps.
--Pei

From: Arohi Kumar [mailto:arohi@mobipulse.in]
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 2:53 PM
To: Chen, Pei
Subject: Re: Information Regarding Apache cTAKES-3.0

Hi Pei,
Thanks for your suggestion. That worked like a charm. I also made it work using Lucene 3.6
to write a new index which was subsequently readable by the Lucene 4.0 jars present in the
project. Just for curiosity, I have found(by experimenting with Lucene versions) that the
original OrangeBook index was written to by a Lucene version preceding 1.9. Hope that I am
right?
Now that I am obtaining the output :
I want to be able to understand what I am getting. I have looked at the output and things
like the LookupWindowAnnotation, SignSymptomMention, Concept, UmlsConcept jump out as being
really useful. I want to understand the other outputs as well as how the code gave them to
me. I have looked at the Component Use Guide, which gives me a overall idea of the cTAKES
pipeline. I am looking for a more detailed explanation.

I understand that ultimately I will have to get my hands dirty and delve into the code. Are
there any other resources for helping me get started like an explanation of the output and
the flow of control of the code.
Thank you
Arohi Kumar
Ex-CSE, IIT Kharagpur