ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Assur, Ted" <Theodore.As...@providence.org>
Subject specificity in selecting EntityMentions when using AggregatePlaintextUMLSProcessor
Date Wed, 04 Sep 2013 00:24:07 GMT
I'm trying to understand what would prevent the AggregatePlaintextUMLSProcessor AE from correctly
parsing specific problems that are defined in the UMLS version used by cTAKES.

For example,
CIN (Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia) in its general usage is parsed out as UMLS CUI C0206708.

CIN comes in 3 grades, 1, 2 and 3. Sometimes this is reported with Roman Numerals, I,II, and
III.

cTAKES correctly identifies "CIN 3" and "CIN III" with UMLS CUI C0851140: "Carcinoma in situ
of uterine cervix."

However, I cannot get it to recognize CIN 1, CIN I, CIN 2, or CIN II as their correct concepts,
"Cervical intraepithelial neoplasia grade 1" and "Cervical intraepithelial neoplasia grade
2" respectively.

Is there a way to tune the detection of UMLS concepts?

Ted Assur
IT Solutions Architect for Cancer Research
Providence Health & Services
ted.assur@providence.org
503-215-6476

Crede, ut intelligas.
Intellego, ut credam.

This message is intended for the sole use of the addressee, and may contain information that
is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not
the addressee you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute
to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received this
message in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email and delete this message.