ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From "Wu, Stephen T., Ph.D." <Wu.Step...@mayo.edu>
Subject Re: CEM Template Question
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2013 15:03:31 GMT
Yeah, Steve is right -- we did this to mirror the Knowtator annotation
schema.  Removing the relation between them would make it difficult to
find and account for relation attributes.

I think there's a pretty convincing argument for relations being somewhat
"supporting" annotations.  Coreference and all other relations would
essentially help you fill in your attribute values (e.g.,
mention.setbodyLocation()).  I think this ends up being cleaner overall,
since an end user of the CAS then has the ability to look at Mentions
without looking at Relations.

So I think I'm a +1.  There are only a few relation-valued attributes for
each mention, so I expect changes would be fairly local within the
relation-extractor project.

What do you think about the refsem types -- e.g., should the attributes
within DiseaseDisorder changed, similar to how we plan to change
DiseaseDisorderMention?

stephen