ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Steven Bethard <steven.beth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CEM Template Question
Date Sat, 17 Aug 2013 03:46:29 GMT
On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM, Pei Chen <chenpei@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi James/Steven,
> In the common type system/template fillers, do you recall why we stored the
> TextRelation instead of the resolved annotation?
>
> For example, in SignSymptomMention, getBodyLocation() returns
> LocationOfTextRelation.
> So in order to actually get the AnatomicalSiteMention, you would have to
> look inside LocationOfTextRelation arg1 or arg2.

Yeah, I really didn't like this either, but this is what's in the
actual Knowtator data. The one argument I've heard for it is that the
LocationOfTextRelation could be negated, even when the
AnatomicalSiteMention was not. I believe the idea would be to
distinguish between:

* The lesion was not on the left lung
* There was no lesion on the left lung

where the former asserts that there was a lesion but negates the
location, and the latter asserts the lack of a lesion. To support this
kind of thing, either getBodyLocation() has to return a
LocationOfTextRelation with an appropriate polarity attribute, of
there has to be some other mechanism for specifying the polarity, etc.
of the body location relation.

All that said, this was just got said to me once or twice. I have no
idea if the annotators even annotated this way or not. If they didn't,
I agree that the LocationOfTextRelation as the bodyLocation feels
super clunky and it would be great to fix that.

Steve