ctakes-dev mailing list archives

From Andy McMurry <mcmurry.a...@gmail.com>
Subject how do you feel about putting public presentations on ctakes.apache.org ?
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2013 23:26:31 GMT
Argument FOR:

Videos can also be very educational for new users!
For example, this cTAKES description by Guergana : https://vimeo.com/24829353

Publishing our slides or video -- for example recent the NLP presentations from the i2b2 user
group -- gives folks a very real sense of the kinds of problems we are currently working on.

A lot of people can't make it to these events. The slides are on the web anyway, just harder
to find if you dont know already.

Argument AGAINST:

Sharing your ideas before they are published in a journal can be bad for academic credit!

Make every effort to separate the scientific research from engineering product.
There is little value in sharing an idea without an implementation anyway, this is already
complicated enough with stable software.

~~~
I can see both perspectives.
Curious what others think about this.

--Andy